What is high pressure die casting (HPDC)?
- How does the high pressure die casting process work?
In a high pressure die casting process, molten metal or metal alloy is injected at high speed and high pressure into the mould.
Horizontal high pressure die casting machines ensure the die closes completely. These are rated by how much closing force they can apply.
Depending on the metal being used, the injection unit that fills the mould can either be hot chamber or cold chamber. In hot chamber die casting, the metal is held within the diecasting machine itself, then drawn into the chamber and forced into the mould by the injection piston. These parts of the machine are in constant contact with the molten metal.
In cold chamber process the metal is first melted in a separate furnace and transferred to a holding furnace, then poured into a shot sleeve and injected into the mould.
- Advantages of the high pressure die casting process
High pressure die casting technology can produce very large light alloy parts, in high volumes and great speeds.
These machines deliver light alloy parts with high precision, superior surface finish, excellent uniformity and optimum mechanical properties.
The high pressure die casting process can also produce components with thin walls and "co-cast” parts with different types of inserts, such as screws and liners, that then become an integral part of the product itself.
Cold chamber high pressure die casting technology is ideal for production of a diverse range of aluminium and magnesium automotive castings such as engine blocks, gearbox casings, oil sumps, engine mounts and structural parts like cross-car beams.
It is widely used in other sectors to manufacture components in applications that range from the simplest – a lighting component – to the most demanding, such as aerospace engine parts.
- Principle of mold processing reservation allowance 2023-09-18 14
- DIN 1.2311 Plastic Mold Steel 2023-09-15 14
- Selection and Heat Treatment of Die Casting Mold Materials 2023-09-08 16
- Tooling classification 2023-09-01 25
- Die steel -1.2738/1.2738HH 2023-08-24 29
- Mold processing accuracy requirements 2023-08-14 36
- The main causes of thermal cracks and preventive measures 2023-08-08 41
- TQ1 Impresses with its Excellent High-Temperature Strength at Higher Working Temperatures 2023-08-03 53
- Characteristics of die-cast zinc alloy 2023-07-28 57
- Die Cast Mold 2023-07-25 42
- Heat treatment - Normalizing 2023-07-12 29
- Material cracking during heat treatment 2023-06-27 31
- 1.4034 tool steel indispensable for saving lives in surgery 2023-06-25 31
- Kind&Co - Premium steels offer an excellent combination of high toughness and good thermal shock resistance 2023-06-16 41
- Classification of forging 2023-05-31 28
- Undercut molding 2023-05-25 38
- 1.2085 Characteristics of die steel 2023-05-15 28
- Fundamental changes apply for products in future concepts within the automotive die casting 2023-05-12 27
- What is low pressure die casting (LPDC)? 2023-04-24 40
- What is the trimming in die casting? 2023-04-21 37