What is Gravity Die Casting (GDC)?
How does the gravity die casting process work?
Gravity die casting was one of the very earliest processes to be invented for metal and light alloy die casting. In this process which can be fully automated, the molten metal is poured directly from a ladle into a semi-permanent or permanent die.
The goal is to fill the die with minimum turbulence through one or more channels to reduce oxidation and foaming. This minimises porosity and inclusions, giving optimum metal characteristics in the final casting.
Gravity die casting equipment can have a vertical or horizontal mould opening, or tilting technology with 0/90 ° or 0/120 ° tilting provides an alternative. With tilting die-casting, the metal flow at the die inlet is controlled by the tilting angle and speed of the die.
Advantages of the tilting gravity die casting process
One of the advantages of tilting gravity die casting is that it can produce dense, high quality castings with excellent mechanical attributes like strength and stiffness. That makes it very suitable for demanding automotive applications like brake system and suspension components.
Gravity die casting technology’s main advantages include:
suitability for high-volume, automated production
minimum investment required for small and medium volume production
produces parts with excellent mechanical properties that are also suitable for heat treatment
As sand cores can be placed within the mould, gravity die casting can also produce parts with complex shapes.
Gravity die casting technology is ideal for diverse complex aluminium casting production of automotive parts such as: turbos, brake calipers, knuckles, engine cylinder heads, engine blocks and pistons. It suits many other industries too, from lighting components to kitchen tools.
- Special Steel Industry Chain for Ningshing 2023-11-23 15
- New Heat Treatment Installation 2023-11-21 21
- Ningshing Precision Machinery has been practicing the 6S management concept. 2023-11-15 13
- NINGSHING Tool Steel for Knives & Blade: For Every Precision Cut 2023-11-10 20
- The Importance of CMM in Precision Manufacturing 2023-11-08 35
- CNC Circular Sawing Machine GKL610 2023-11-06 37
- 4140 Plate--Widely used in American market 2023-11-03 46
- Plastic mold steel-420mod 2023-10-27 28
- 1.2379 cold work tool steel 2023-10-26 36
- Electric Vehicle 2023-10-17 32
- The main causes and preventive measures of hot cracks 2023-10-16 36
- HMD flame hardening steel 2023-09-28 39
- Principle of mold processing reservation allowance 2023-09-18 54
- DIN 1.2311 Plastic Mold Steel 2023-09-15 44
- Selection and Heat Treatment of Die Casting Mold Materials 2023-09-08 66
- Cold work tool steel-1.2510 / O1/SKS3 2023-09-07 54
- Tooling classification 2023-09-01 47
- Die steel -1.2738/1.2738HH 2023-08-24 56
- Mold processing accuracy requirements 2023-08-14 66
- The main causes of thermal cracks and preventive measures 2023-08-08 68